Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The story of a tree


Last week I mentioned to Jay that we really should put a tree on the back porch. He seemed interested and that was all the motivation I needed. We do have a beautiful pre-lit artificial tree we got at Costco a few years back and it's a real beauty once you put it together, spread the limbs and apply all the ornaments BUT I wanted a fun tree with color and the smell of a real tree.
So yesterday after naps I told Katie Jo we were going on an adventure to buy a tree and decorate it to surprise Daddy. And off we went. First, we went to Walmart and I quickly loaded up on color, color, color! I let Katie Jo pick most of what we'd put on the tree, meaning I held up two choices and let her pick. After choosing as many fun things as I could think of we paid and left. It was nearing 5 o'clock and I wasn't sure we'd make it to the tree farm up the road with all the traffic but the glutton for punishment person I am we pushed on. We arrived at the tree farm right at 5 and swept in to find our tree. Katie Jo had such fun running up and down the tree aisles and I'm sorry I don't have a photo of that. We didn't have to look far and pick a nice 6 foot tree with barely any imperfections. Then the man asked the magic words, "Do you have your tree stand with you?" I hadn't really thought about the task of putting the tree stand on the bottom but he solved that issue for me. Right there in the middle of all the trees they turned ours on it's side, trimmed the bottom and set to the task of attaching the tree stand I had freshly purchased. God bless that man I don't think he will ever know the trouble he saved me. If you live in the area go to Stacks Nursery on Dorchester Rd. to buy a Christmas tree or any tree. You might want to take your tree stand with you!
So after shoving it into the van we were off once again. I loaded the tree into the porch, cut the string and ta da! we had our real tree. I got the lights on before Jay got home and after dinner we all decorated the rest. It now has all my Madame Alexander ornaments on it so it looks girly, as well as, fun.
The best part was turning all the lights off, sitting in the rocker, and rocking Katie Jo to sleep in my arms while she gazed at our adventure!

No comments: