Monday, December 01, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

If you read the previous post then you already saw where I mentioned how much I love my tree ornaments. Just about every single one conjures a memory of someone or a time in my life. So I thought I'd take you on a little tour of some of my favorite things.Here we are on the table all ready to be put on the tree!

This church ornament was given to me the day of my wedding by my flower lady. My mom and I went by the church to see how it all looked and she was sitting on the front pew working on some final touches. She gave me a gift and said she gives the same thing to all her brides. I opened it to find the sweet little church. She said she felt like all brides should have an ornament that reminded them of the day they got married.

This ornament with my name and 81 was given to my mom by her sweet friend Denise. She cross stitched several and I got this one when I finally had my own tree to decorate.
Katie Jo was born in May and when it got close to her first Christmas I emailed all our immediate family and asked them to send her an ornament that best represented who they were. I wanted to start making some family traditions and I thought what a fun way to think of her aunts, uncles, grandparents, and great-grandparents than to look at each of "their ornaments." I can remember so clearly getting each one and how they all were so perfect. Every year since I have so enjoyed getting these out and thinking of our family.

This is my favorite family ornament. It is the rooster my grandmother sent. There couldn't have been anything more perfect since all growing up she collected roosters and it's what I think of when I envision the inside of her house.


These are the ornaments we brought back from Germany. I especially love the white ones with Edelweiss painted on them.


This is a pack of "Brides Tree" ornaments. We got them from Jan and Larry when we got married and they were the first fancy ornaments I had to put on our tree. They each hold a meaning. My favorite is the rabbit and it represents hope and faith.


The Madame Alexander dolls are so precious to me that when I open each box and take them out I just want to stare at them till they come to life! My mom started getting me these every year since 1993. I've been waiting to give them their own tree and this year it finally happened. Pictures of that soon to come.


Jay has several special ornaments that we add to our tree each year but these are his Clemson Commemorative ornaments that his mom has gotten for him every year since 1991.


These beautiful red and gold ornaments were given to us our first Christmas by Jay's mom. I remember they came in a big Belks box and were each individually wrapped in tissue paper. I was so excited to get them and add to our tree.

This is my Christmas china which I adore. Jay was so appalled when I registered for it on top of the fine china. He could not understand why in the world I would need china for only one time a year when we'd probably never use our other anyway. He was probably right but I sure love how it looks in the china cabinet.

This is our nativity pyramid from Germany. I remember looking and looking for the perfect one in a Christmas store. These things are everywhere over there and they come in all shapes and sizes. I didn't want to spend a bundle on it but I did want a nativity scene and more than one level. I don't get to light it very often with kids around but the blades move fast once the heat rises from the candles. And if you've ever watched Christmas Vacation and seen the scene where Randy Quaid takes his finger and flicks the blades and the whole thing collapses I'm here to tell you that doesn't really happen.


This is my Waterford nativity scene that my mom gave us. It's so little and sweet and very breakable! Don't worry Judy it's up way high.
Couldn't you just sweep up these little snow babies and hug them. Don't! They are breakable. Our sweet friend Geraldine gave these to us when we got married. Once again I just love how many things we have from people that love us and I wonder if they'll ever know what joy they give us this time of year when we look at them and remember.


Lastly, this was a deal I found at a yard sale a few months back. $5 people! You can't beat that. It's definitely the only snow we'll see this year in our back yard.














1 comment:

Judy Johnson said...

Great post! All of these ornaments hold such memories for me too. I love the doll tree...it's exactly what I pictured lots of years ago!