Tuesday, August 19, 2008

She is probably smarter than a fifth grader

A few things to share about the eldest child.

First, last night Jay and I were having a conversation in the bonus room and KJ was sitting nearby with her back to us playing. We were discussing some upcoming things on our calendar and here's what happened next.
Me: "I don't think we're ever going to make it back to Disney World at this rate."
KJ: turns completely around, makes eye contact with me and says, "What did you just say?"
Me: "What?"
KJ: "What did you just say?"
I couldn't help but laugh out loud for several beats. I couldn't believe she knew what we were talking about and I sure didn't realize that she knew what Disney World was. It was such a revealing moment and her tone was such that she not only understood what I said but that she couldn't believe I'd rule out going to Disney World under ANY circumstances!

Last night I again explained to Katie Jo how if she woke up and it was dark she had to stay in her bed. If it was light then she could come to our room, blah, blah, blah. I also took her to the bathroom to ensure we didn't have a repeat of the night before (and today we bought a vinyl cover for the mattress). So right before I went to bed I checked in on her and noticed she had pulled one of her blinds up about a foot and a half! I guess she wanted to make sure she could tell if it was dark or light outside. And sure enough she didn't come get in bed until about 6:30 this morning.

Lastly, we were having a conversation about how I'll be going back to work in a couple of days. I explained how Daddy would be getting her up, fed, and dressed in the morning and that she would be going to Mrs. Debbie's house. At that point she stopped me by putting up her hand and saying "Wait, wait, wait. You're not Daddy." I paused to figure out what she meant and then when I did I explained that Mommy was going to go to work like Daddy. She then said, "You're not a boy you're a girl!" Obviously we had to have a convo about how girls can work too. All this time I've worried about her feeling abandoned or dumped at some stranger's house. I never considered that it would confuse her about the reversal of roles. Even though Jay will still be working too I guess in her head it's like he and I are switching places. Thankfully it's only temporary and after that we'll be on a "normal" schedule most of the week. She's such a trip though! I'm sure she's in her room now still mulling over all that we talked about.

2 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

Daddy is the only one that works at our house too!!! I guess the boy's think I like wearing monotone scrubs everyday.

The Browns said...

so funny. isn't it amazing how their little minds work?