Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Are you kidding me?

So, over the last few months Georgia has had a rash come up ever so often on her trunk. It would sometimes cover her back as well. I took photos each time to document exactly how it looked when I found it. I couldn't quite pin point a food she had eaten or any activity that would have brought it on. She didn't seem to be in a lot of discomfort but it did itch. After about the second episode I called in to the doc and took her in to be examined. I brought my photos and the nurse said it look to be a reaction. We discussed the possibilities and decided to wash all her clothes, bedding and such in Dreft. She said to continue with Cortaid which was helping to clear it up. She also has eczema on her scalp but the body rash was different. One time it was patchy and then one time is was red all over like a sunburn. After that trip we had a flare up a week later and I took photos and emailed them in. The doctor said it was a contact reaction and called in a prescription cream. They also suggested several items such as Aquaphor ointment, cedaphil soap, and Aveeno oatmeal bath packets. I was armed and ready but after a week she had another episode and I had had enough. We made an appointment with an allergist. The first visit they did a skin test and everything came back negative. The next visit they applied a patch to her back with all items that could be suspect allergies. They also told me prior to this visit that I could bring in any items from home that I thought might be causing a problem. I did. We went back two days later to take the patch off and check. There were four red places. We went two day after that for another look and the four spots were still red. Out of twenty items they tested ranging from peanuts to bananas guess which four tested positive. The four products I brought in! Guess what they were? Burts Bees and Aveeno! I took in Burts Bees Baby Bee Buttermilk lotion, Baby Bee skin cream, Baby Bee diaper ointment, and Aveeno Eczema moisture cream. All positive reactions. I couldn't believe it. I was relieved it was something we could easily take care of though. I think this child has some sensitive skin and she may have more to deal with down the road as she begins consuming food but for now it seems to just be an issue with whatever is in those items. The only common ingredient in Burts Bees was aloe and I couldn't figure out what it was about the Aveeno product since she didn't test positive for an allergic reaction to oat. I have taken her off of oatmeal cereal just to be safe. So we'll see. For now we are using a wonderful lotion and cleanser called CeraVe. I would recommend it highly. It is behind the counter and you have to ask for it but Wow! it makes my hands so soft. Georgia's skin is so much softer now after using it just a few times a week. This was a lot of info but this is such a great way for me to document and get the word out!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm always looking for a new lotion. Caroline has terribly dry skin.
I hate that you had to go through all of that with little Georgia! I know it drove you crazy! I'm glad it's all settled.

Amy Wallace said...

Noah did the same with Burts Bees! However, the only thing he can use is the Aveeno ezcema care lotion?