Friday, January 16, 2009

One of my greatest days as Mom to a girl

So if you work backwards there is the wedding day, prom day, and the day they start dance class as the three greatest days of a mom to a girl. I'm kind of saying this with tongue in cheek but it really was thrilling to enroll Katie Jo in her very first dance class. All the memories of my days at Teele's School of Dance came flooding back and when I put my nose in the box of her brand new tap shoes (I'm not kidding, nose went directly into the box) pictures raced through my head of leotards, giggling with friends, mats, mirrors, and Sue Teele. She was the matriarch of the dance school and revered with a mix of admiration and fear. It's amazing how a smell can revert you back immediately and produce memories you didn't know your brain still held onto.
So anyway I gradually hyped up our eldest and by the time the first class rolled around she was beside herself with excitement.
The class she is enrolled in is a mix of tap and ballet. When I called to register her I found out it was $55 a month for a once a week, hour long class. I discussed it with Jay and we decided we could live with that price so she could have this opportunity. Well, what I didn't factor in was the couple of leotards we'd have to buy and the tap shoes and ballet shoes. After that I decided as long as she kept with it for awhile then it would not be a great cost over time. The first day of class the owner came in to talk to us about the recital at the end of the year. Apparently there is a cost. Shocking! And then there are the costumes. Also, not for free.
So now we have forgone the idea of having a third child so that Katie Jo's dance career can be worked into our budget.
Her first class went well and thankfully when we got there there were two other girls she knew so that made it easier. I sat outside her room and chatted with a friend. There is a window with a sheer curtain over it. I could peep in and watch but she couldn't see me. She did well, was a good listener, and overall seemed to have fun which was the point in the first place. Here are a few pics of our tiny dancer and a hysterical video of her showing off her tap moves.


6 comments:

Alli said...

I love that she stuck her tongue out! So cute!

April said...

Thought I was watching Funniest Home Videos!! I remember when Anna took her first. I'm a little behind with Addie. I know what you mean...have another kid and come to terms with the fact that there will be no extras!! Don't have another kid and have two very talented children and a big empty space. That tell you were my heart is? I want another!! but can we afford it?????

Pockets and Shoes said...

That's the funniest thing I've ever seen! She's getting it, boy!

Carly said...

I have many many years of memories of Sue Teele and Teele school of dance! The video is great! :)

Unknown said...

My favorite memory of Christy is when she was three and four years old, dressed in a triangular shaped dark blue and white dress with white leotards, black patent leather shoes, her hair cut straight across the front, around the sides and back, a round face and wearing a pair of glasses as thick as the bottom of a pop bottle.

Jenn said...

I had totally forgotten about Teeles! Shuffle, ball, step! (I still do that sometimes.) I cannot WAIT for Charlotte to start dance class. Everytime I walk by the little tu-tus and leotards at Target I have to resist the urge to go ahead and buy one. KJ is so cute! Tim would die if he saw this, she is that cute!